Paralegal, Legal Analysis
Reports To: Product Manager, Applied Research
Exari has become the new leader in enterprise contract management using a unique approach for transforming contracts from documents into data. Over the years we have developed market-leading functionality to give companies unprecedented control and insight into the agreements which underpin their customer, supplier, employee, and partner relationships.
Paralegals play an important role in Exari’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) project, which automatically extracts rich data from contract documents. They carry out legal analysis, administrative and data entry tasks relating to contract documents, as part of the ongoing development of a document corpus for machine learning. By accurately identifying and labelling contract features, the paralegal is involved in the process of teaching the AI how to read contracts. Paralegals work in the Legal Analysis team, which is part of the Product Department, and their work is an important input for the engineers in the Applied Research team in R&D.
Essential Job Functions
- Read and correctly understand parts of contracts and other legal documents
- Correctly identify contract features based on one or more labelling schemes
- Annotate documents correctly with the specified labels using Word, text editors or specialized annotation software
- Follow and comply with project processes for coordinating work amongst team members
- Maintain and submit accurate records of work hours and progress
- Maintain concentration throughout repetitive tasks
- Achieve any targets set, such as a time limit on a set of contracts
- Other related duties and projects as assigned
Preparation, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent legal analysis skills, particularly experience with contract review, ensuring that you can accurately identify and label contractual clauses
- 2-3 years studying Law at Bachelor’s level, including study of Contract Law in a common law jurisdiction
- Experience with Windows 10 and Microsoft Word/Excel and the ability to learn and use new software tools (keyboard shortcuts are important)
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a wider project team
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, particularly time management, with attention to detail
- An ability to work on different documents simultaneously, and to multitask in a work environment
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- Normal office environment; smart casual dress code
- Flexible work on a casual (zero-hours) contract – expected to be full time for 6 months initially
- Newbury or London offices, with potential for remote work following training period
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
Exari does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Exari employee. Exari will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Exari and will be processed accordingly.